Pages

Monday, May 25, 2020

Container Gardening

There are two primary types of full timers. Those who are in it for the travel, crisscrossing the country and spending 2-4 weeks exploring areas they visit. Then there are those like Champ and I who work camp, staying in an area 4-5 months. We dream of taking a couple of years to lead the nomadic style at some point, but for now we can’t imagine being gone during the summer months after hiding from winter in the southern states. One of the biggest advantages to staying in Iowa all summer is the ability to grow my container garden. 

I made my 4th and 5th trips to the greenhouse last week. I went back with my daughter in law and granddaughter to help them pick flowers to grace their patio, then again, a couple of days later to buy the rest of my own things. As usual my trip was also a play date with my friend Joyce who shares my green thumb and love of the smell of a greenhouse. 
Nora picking out her flowers

Pot all planted and ready to take home

 Planting time with the girls

Everything is planted and flourishing in the daily rain and warm temperatures that Iowa has delivered to give the seeds, and newly transplanted seedlings a good start to the growing season.
This year in addition to some new flowers, in my shaded baskets, I have both of my Pollinator habitats off to a good start with the perennials, up and growing and new annuals getting established. The pots have my herbs, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Sweet and Hot Peppers, Carrots, and Butternut Squash. I amended the soil in another spot for a Zucchini patch and separated it from the pollinator bed with a bed of Zinnia seed harvested from last years flowers that have germinated and are on their way to being the big sun loving rainbow of colors they will be by July.
The boys raised garden growing like crazy. Hangers have spinach and lettuce coming up

Cilantro, Sage , flowers and an experiment growing lettuce from the leftover stalk

Rumex, Tarragon and Oregano cut back in Texas and growing agan in Iowa. Basil and Thyme soon to emerge

Cucumber and pepper plants

Hutner's Chocolate Cherry tomato plant with Marigolds for pest control in the small pots

East drive entrance with Polinators getting a good start

West drive entrance polinator habitat, back bed is the zucchini . Zinnia coming up in the patch in between the plots.


My posting tonight was interrupted by a trip to the storm shelter as a nasty Thunderstorm with enough rotation to prompt a tornado warning popped up. It left with no impact, hopefully it will be as innocent as it passes over areas in its path as it moves northeast from here.
It is definitely spring-time in Iowa!

Until Next Time…

No comments:

Post a Comment