Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2020

This Could Be You!

There seem to be two types of full timers. Those who roam almost constantly and those, like us who stay put in different places for long periods of time.  We come back to the same area each summer to spend time with family and friends and chose a different winter destination each year taking our time meandering our way to and from. 

One thing that people tell me frequently is they miss their gardens and flowerbeds. The thought of giving up mine was a huge hurdle and almost a deal breaker. One of the things I like the best about our brand of full timing is I still have fresh veggies in arms reach and lots of flowers, especially in the summer. 

Years ago we used to camp at a big reservoir south of our home town and there was a camp host with a site planted within an inch of its life. I always thought it was the coolest thing. I wondered what the yard at her home looked like because her site looked fabulous.  I have never forgotten her site and have strived to achieve that since we became full time.  Thanks to the ability to return to our home base here at Saylorville in the same site each year and the Rangers willingness to let us plant in the ground and make our sites beautiful I have become that woman I admired years ago. There are many sites here that have been improved and planted. Some of the volunteers who created these luscious, homey areas have moved on but their legacy remains. 

Five weeks into the growing season, things are looking pretty fabulous at site # 7.  Champ was sitting on the patio the other day an informed me I had 24 pots with stuff growing in them. How did that happen? In addition I have 4 sections of plantings directly in the Iowa earth. In all, I have two tomato plants, Butternut Squash, Zucchini, Cucumber all spaced far apart so they don't cross pollinate, Snow Peas, Carrots, two varieties of bell pepper and banana peppers, 6 types of herbs, three varieties of lettuce and spinach. My friend gave me some Hostas that surround my tree and grow in the shade along my patio. Pots with flower arrangements are scattered throughout my site.  Squash is starting to grow, tomatoes are blooming, I am on my second cutting of greens and the herbs are over flowing in their planter.  Flowers are in full bloom and my butterfly habitats are attracting a nice variety of butterflies, bumblebees and of course honey bees. Hummingbirds are starting to flit around sipping on the plants provided for their dining pleasure. Life is good. Here a few pictures of my little slice of heaven.

Flowers and Food abound


Herbs aplenty

Cucumber loaded with blooms and babies




One of two butterfly habitats with Zucchini in the background




The grandkids garden is really growing! 




This too, could be you! 

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment