Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Duluth Day 3

Duluth Day 3

Today was kayaking day.  We were glad we took the advice of the woman at the marina yesterday and waited. Today was about 10 degrees warmer and the breeze was out of a better direction for the kayak trails. We arrived around 10:45 and were set up by a nice man in his early 30’s who looked more like a surfing instructor from California that a Marina guy in northern Minnesota. Nice kid, he showed us the map and when he learned that I was a birder he suggested a route that would help me indulge that part of me. He advised us on the current and how the wind direction would affect us on our route and sent us on our way after exchanging phone numbers in case we needed help.

Four hours passed like 5 minutes. We paddled south and found the island with the active Eagles nest he told us about and then crossed the channel. A big island in the middle of the river was the lunch destination. As we paddled along, we noticed a picnic table, or what was left on one, so we stopped there for lunch. A tutorial sign told us we were at Clough Island that boasted over 150 breeding bird species. It was obvious that it had at one time been maintained but had likely succumbed to budget cuts over the years. Nevertheless, we ate our lunch and I watched birds the whole time. I photographed and recorded to E-Bird a Great Crested Flycatcher, that was considered rare in the area. I was able to get a nice shot of the eagle’s nest with the mated pair and their two fledgling juveniles.

Champ cruising along the shoreline

Heading out of the marina cove into the St. Louis River channel

Juvie, Bald Eagle perched above the nest

Mature Eagle keeping an eye on me

Lunch stop at Clough Island


We learned two valuable things today. We are closer all the time to buying our own kayaks. We have used the ‘sit on top’ type twice and like them. Today day we had the ‘sit down in’ type and were not fans. They weren’t quite as stable. In my case, I don’t know how to travel light on an excursion. I go armed with my camera bag, binoculars, water bottle, cell phone….you get it. The sit on top kind have a nice indention and cover where I can stow all my stuff. Today most of what I took was in a compartment behind me where I couldn’t get to it while in motion. As my camera laid between my legs a drop of water initiated a frisky shock the left a nice burn the size of my fingernail on my inner thigh. That woke me up!

The other thing I learned was the birding is hard in a kayak! You dial in on something and get the binocs for a look. Next thing you know the kayak is turning in the current or breeze and you’re twisting to stay sighted on your bird. Then there is trying to take a picture with the kayak bobbing in the water and of course rotating in the absence of your control with the oars. I did get a couple of good bird pictures despite the challenges.

One of several species of water Lily in the river

The bridge to Wisconsin at the convergence of the river and Lake Superior in the background

Great Crested Flycatcher- fun sighting today


This was the most robust kayaking day we have had. Between the wind and the current and the active boating channels it was a challenging, yet fun and rewarding day that took us another step closer to adding two kayaks to our toy collection. The comic relief came at the very end of the day. As I beached my kayak and stood up to step out, I tripped over the seat, lost my balance and fell flat on my butt in the drink! 4 hours, wind, boats, current in and out of the kayaks several times and not a bit wet till the very end. Thank goodness I had handed my camera that was hanging around my neck to Champ, seconds before. Otherwise, I'd be shopping for a new one and these pictures would not be in this post.  I walked into the office still dripping! 

Tomorrow we will venture 20 miles south to a state park recommended to us by a couple camping near us.

Until Next Time…


No comments:

Post a Comment