Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Day 276/89 New Friends and Manatees


Ocala, Florida 77 Degrees – Off and On Showers





We finally got out and saw a bit of Florida yesterday. We’ve been here for about 2 weeks now and haven’t explored much. We’ve been laying low and just enjoying being in a warm place with no commitments on our time.  Well, Champ has been enjoying it, I have been tolerating it.





I have been actively seeking a part time job and have three interviews next week. I expect to be working by mid-December.  In the meantime, we are meeting new people who are arriving at the vacant spaces around us. 





Yesterday was a day to remember. We went to visit our new friends Ben and Rhonda, who volunteered at Saylorville this past summer and have been full time almost exactly as long as we have. They have a beautiful place to park their 5th wheel right on the canal in Weeki Wachee about 45 minutes from here. They invited us down yesterday to spend the day and go kayaking. What a day it was.





Their place is breathtaking. Everything one would expect from Florida. I knew there was a chance we would see Manatees. Something I have always wanted to experience.  We put their 4 kayaks in the canal from their dock, just feet from their camper, and headed down the canal toward the gulf waters. Within an hour we were in a spring fed cove where 4 adults and a calf were swimming about. Ben said it was fine to beach my kayak and get in the water with them, if I was comfortable doing it. I couldn’t get in the water fast enough. I handed my camera off to Champ, pulled the kayak into the tree line and swam into the 72- degree water out to them. I treaded water and they came to me. One surfaced right in front of me and then swam around my legs like a cat rubbing against may calves. I ‘petted’ it with my feet and marveled at the gentleness and curiosity of the quiet giant that was letting me share its space. Their hide felt like running your hand over the surface of a slick racing tire. Sadly, they all had scars from boat props. I was in heaven, being in direct contact with these incredible water mammals.









We worked our way out to the inter-coastal waters near the mouth of the gulf and were treated to two dolphins, playing in the shallow waters. Perhaps the most unexpected sighting was a Ladderback Woodpecker, drumming away at a Palm tree trunk in the marshy area just inland from the gulf. I’ve always associated woodpeckers with more traditional timbered areas.





It was a memorable afternoon, of experiencing new things in nature and getting to know Ben and Rhonda better. Ben and Champ paddled along together talking about whatever guys talk about. Rhonda and I followed and talked, as we got to know each other on a new level.





The day ended with dinner at a wonderful understated place called PK’s Shipwreck, where we feasted on a pound of steamed shrimp and a beer for $12.50 each. Champ scarfed down the fish and chips and we were treated to live music.





We left with full bellies and memories of close encounters with nature most people only dream of.  A day of firsts and new friends was the theme.  We have all winter to hang out Ben and Rhonda. Something that would not have happened if our gig in Plains hadn’t imploded. Life is full of unexpected joy if we just take a deep breath and let it unfold. A lesson I am slowly learning.





Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment