Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2019

Nesting


We have set up our winter nest and are off to a good start
for the season. Like birds we are not only fall and spring migrators, we (meaning
I) have a strong need to nest in the places we put down our jacks. One never
knows what lies ahead when taking a new work camping gig. Last year we had a
terrible and ultimately short-lived experience with the National Parks Service.
 This year we have found ourselves in a
nice park with satisfying jobs. Good thing because we traveled 1600 miles to be
here.



We started our work this past Monday and are loving the 12
hour each work weeks. I am in the reservation office checking people in. This
gig has given me the chance to learn the reservation software used at many
parks. As with all work camping jobs, I am learning a few new tricks I never
thought I needed to know, like reprogramming the fobs that open the entry
gates. Champ is working for the maintenance department which so far has
included power washing and running the street sweeper. Upon learning that he
has a background in equipment operation, it sounds like he will spend a good
deal of his day and a half each week running one of several pieces of equipment
they use.

Our Winter Nest


Many people ask me if I travel with all my plants. The answer is ‘yes’.  Most of them go with me year-round. It’s a bit of a task and they get stressed a bit. I tried something new this year. Before we left, it trimmed all my herbs back and dried them to use. Instead of tossing them I left the root ball in the pots and packed them away in a compartment. To my surprise, one of the lettuces sprouted in the dark warm compartment on the way down and is now showing leaves. The others are growing nicely in the warm climate. Two other hanging pots have been sown with other lettuces and spinach to grow in the mild winter climate. The tropical plants all faired well and are thriving. Accept the Poinsettia, who road in the front seat of the towed car each day. The problem wasn’t the heat, they are native to jungles. The problem was the sun streaming in the window all day. The leaves are a bit burnt. But it is sprouting new leaves and I’ve cut away the damaged foliage. It is lounging in a corner of the motorhome recuperating and with any luck I can get it to bloom by Christmas.











The deck is back up; the cats are enjoying their small field
behind the site. We have washed and waxed the rig over the course of a couple
of days. All the yard ornaments are out and the Iowa shaped sign with our name,
that we made this past summer, and the flagpole mark the entrance to our
driveway. We will have an empty pad next to us that will be shared space for us
and the people who will occupy the park model next to us beginning mid-December.
I have been out birding twice so far and am looking forward to spending a lot
of my leisure time on the trails nearby and in the State Park next door.  Not a bad gig for the next 5 months.


Curved Bill Thrasher

Lizard Catching some rays


Pelicans Landing


I came with the intention of finding a part time job again
this winter to build savings back up after the repairs to the car and new tires
for the motorhome. It took me three days. I landed a sweet part time job as a
bookkeeper for a local pharmacy. It is owned by a delightful Hispanic couple
and I am the only person in the place who does not speak Spanish. Lucky for me
they are all bilingual. It is the perfect environment to use my mind instead of
my back and work on my remedial Spanish language skills. As we settle into our
winter routine, we are happy to be in South Texas and look forward to seeing
all of the friends we have in the area as well as three couples we met in
Florida last winter, who will be in the Valley for part of the winter.


In between missing the kids and working our hours we are bound to a fun filled winter here. Who knows? Maybe this will end up being a return gig. Time will tell.




Until next time….

No comments:

Post a Comment