Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2021

West Texas Part II 4-3-2021

 

Today we are travelling from West Texas to Tularosa New Mexico near White Sands. I am leaving West Texas with an appreciation for the area I did not expect to have. When we decided to go, the vision in my mind was fabricated from the old westerns and modern movies like The Rookie and Friday Night Lights. With a few rare exceptions I thought the entire place would be flat, barren and dusty. As far as Junction and Alpine went I could not have been more wrong.

Yesterday we had another picture-perfect day to ride the bikes and head up to Ft. Davis State Park. At 6300 feet elevation. I learned two things while there. I learned that my love of birding and riding my motorcycle do not mesh well in the same day.  It was too cold in the morning to ride into the mountains. By the time we got there around Noon, the birds were starting to settle in for the afternoon. The clothing for the two activities doesn’t really work either. I did spend some time in a very nice bird blind that had several feeders and water falls and was treated to my first sighting of a Pine Siskin and a Lark Bunting. I was hoping to see a Green Tailed Towhee, but it wasn’t meant to be. There were several species that would have been new to me if I had arrived earlier in the morning, I may have seen them. My bike didn’t mind the altitude and ran fine. My body wasn’t a fan. I adjust to higher altitudes a little slowly so my initial assent up a trail was cut short by my lightheadedness as my body struggled in the thinner air. Instead of fighting it, we got back on the bikes and spent the afternoon riding the unbelievably scenic roads through the park.  I looked at the Skyline Drive switchbacks from below and wondered if I had the skill to ride it. I took a deep breath and led the way up. Out of my comfort zone once again I honed my riding skills a bit more and learned some things about riding on steep grades. It wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be and we basked in the stunning views at the top.

Pine Siskin on a feeder at the bird blind

Rose's Claret Cup Cactus in bloom

Skyline Dr. road assent from below


The other thing I learned is, I really want to go back!  Next time we will pull the rig up to one of the nice camping sites and stay for at least a week, so I can really do some serious birding and have a couple of days to adjust to the altitude, so I can hike the miles of trails in the park. The Observatory was closed so that gives me another reason to go back.

Riding the bike up into the mountains that morning was a profound experience. The morning light lit up the mountain face, the air was warm, and I was there on my motorcycle alone with my music, drinking up the scenery around me. It was one of the moments, some would describe as feeling close to God. I would describe it as feeling very connected to the natural world that enveloped me. All my senses were heightened, yet I was more relaxed riding those mountain pass roads than I have felt in an awfully long time.

The Haystacks from the South at Marfa 4400 Ft. Elevation

The Haystacks from the  North Ft. Davis top of Skyline Drive 6300 Ft. Elev.
View of the Hotel in the park from 1/2  way up Skyline Dr 
 
At the top of the park


This morning the drive between Marfa and El Paso was the flat dry west Texas I imagined last week. As I drove the motorhome, I was continually surprised at the beauty of the mountain ranges that surrounded the flat lands. I am excited to be headed to New Mexico. I have wanted to go there since I was a kid. My only disappointment will be that the Georgia O’Keefe (one of my favorite artists) museum complex continues to stay closed due to ‘you know what’. I’ll have to stop in Santa Fe another time. For now, we head to Tularosa for three days of immersion in all that southern New Mexico has to offer.

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment