Pages

Friday, April 2, 2021

West Texas Part I Th, 2021ursday April 1

 

We travelled from Junction to Alpine Texas on Today. For once the scenery holds my attention. Normally I get bored and work on a crossword puzzle or read a book on my Kindle.  I am enchanted with this rocky, hilly land. I have never associated Texas with mountains and was surprised to find that Alpine is at nearly 4500 feet elevation.  Almost as high as Denver! I knew we were headed for the Davis Mountains but thought the name was more a formality.

I-10 between Junction and Alpine

View from our site in Junction Bluffs in the background


The plan is to ride the motorcycles to Fr. Davis State Park tomorrow. When I read that the elevation was 6300 feet, I immediately thought of my carbureted motorcycle engine. I went to a forum to see what the modern carburetors’ tolerance for higher altitudes is and what the remedy is. As it turns out I will be riding at the threshold of the limits of the factory settings, so we are prepared to stop and tweak the jet screw if it starts to load up and run like crap tomorrow. We have been told by many that the 25 mile route from our RV Park to the State Park in the mountains is breathtaking. Birding is on the agenda when we get there. I tried to get tickets to the tour of the McDonald Observatory but was disappointed to find that the soonest available date was April 22nd. Due to the current circumstances that I don’t need to explain, entry is limited to those with advance reservations. I even had to buy State Park Day passes in advance in order to be let into the park as they work to limit crowds. I am thankful to at least get to go birding and pack a lunch to enjoy while we are there.

This evening we will drive the truck over to Marfa and check out the eclectic town and eat dinner at one of the many unique restaurants. I hear it is a Foodies paradise. Then after dark we will head to the Marfa Lights viewing area East of town and try our luck at seeing the famous, mysterious lights in the night sky. I am looking forward to a good night sky away from civilization. Even if I don’t see the Marfa Lights, the stars are bound to be spectacular.

Marfa Lights Viewing area at Sunset


We are on US 67 South headed into Alpine and the landscape is dotted with scrub, Soap TreeYucca  that is new to me and dirt devils winding about all over the open fields. Having watch 100’s of Westerns in my lifetime, especially in the past 20 years living with Champ, I look around and think to myself, things haven’t changed all that much out here.

As we drove today, we talked about what the experience of living in such a remote area must be like. When a large grocery store or Wall-mart is 200 miles away and a small town is easily 75 to 100 for some of these ranchers. I muse at the thought that many are likely wealthy enough to own airplanes and simply fly to El Paso for groceries.

Our time in Junction was exactly what I imagined. It is nice when a plan comes together. We had good riding weather for our 185-mile ride to and around the entire Twisted Sisters Motorcycle loop on Tuesday. On Wednesday, Champs’s cousin Zeke and his with Roselyn drove the 52 miles from Kerrville. After a delicious lunch at the local BBQ joint and good conversation catching up. We went back to our site and spent the afternoon playing a rather rowdy and fun few games of Pitch.

For the rest of the trip, we will not see anyone we know till we get back to the Midwest and possibly see my cousins in Kansas.

Texas never ceases to amaze me with its expanse and diversity of landscape and climate. I am glad we finally made it to this part of the state.

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment