Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Day 73 / 292

Saylorville Lake Rainy 55 Degrees

After a lot of reflection on the impact of this life change we have embarked on I am having a busy few days. My friends store where I am working this summer is undergoing some staff turnover, so I’ve picked up some extra hours to help.

[caption id="attachment_804" align="alignleft" width="300"] Me & Hunter at the zoo[/caption]

In between shifts, I took a walk down a nostalgic path by joining my grandson Hunter on his Kindergarten trip to the Blank Park Zoo. I grew up just a few miles from it and marvel at how the zoo has grown over the years. For all the changes, the train is still there, one of my fond childhood memories. I spent Friday morning with my daughter and his friends in his class trekking through the zoo and reminiscing to myself about field trips with my

[caption id="attachment_805" align="alignright" width="225"] Champ rockin the pink lea, brother Steve and sister Kathy with Aunt Rosemary. The last of her generation.[/caption]

daughter at that age, a quarter century ago but just yesterday in my heart.

Today we went to Champ’s Aunt Rosemary’s 83rd Birthday party. She is the last surviving sibling from my father in laws family of 11 kids. I take a lot of pictures of people in my life and I was reminded today that no matter how much they complain about having their picture taken or stick out their tongues at my camera I will relent in taking them. Aunt Rosemary had a volume of the 4 scrap books she has been keeping throughout her adult life. it was incredible to read through family history of old photographs, some from early 1900’s, newspaper clippings, obituaries, WWII military documents, marriage licenses etc. Her scrap books are a veritable time capsule of family history. I thumbed through them today and wondered to myself how I got so lucky to become a part of such a special family. Every time I am with Champ’s family I feel nothing but love and acceptance. Not something I was accustomed to before I met and married Champ, 16 years ago. As we left today, I wondered as I often do when I say ‘See you soon” to my most senior relatives, if I will see them again. We simply don’t know what tomorrow will bring.

Until Tomorrow…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment