Pages

Friday, May 25, 2018

Day 86 / 279 Feed Your Soul

Saylorville Lake 85 Degrees on the way to 90 – Humid

Still no AC. Motorhome is a crisp 92 degrees now at 3:30 and the hot part of the day won’t arrive till around 7PM. Four fans are doing their best to keep the food from cooking itself in the pantry.

People I meet who dream of going full-time sometimes say, “I could never give up….” (activity) When you are thinking about going full-time a big consideration is how you will spend your time. Most of us have at least one hobby or passion. Mine is gardening. Champ’s is repair, modifying, fabricating building most anything. He gave up his shop and I gave up my yard and gardens. We talked at length about how we would continue to enjoy those activities. The solution for us was to seek out work camp jobs that allowed us to use those skills or engage in our favorite past times.

I get all kinds of gardening time these days. I have my little plots here at our summer digs at Saylorville and I grow a windshield full of potted plants, some of them food in the winter when we go south. Champ is constantly modifying something on the motor home or doing little jobs for people we know or whatever agency we’re volunteering for.

[caption id="attachment_842" align="alignleft" width="225"] Fixing a broken hose reel[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_843" align="alignright" width="225"] Planting Day at Joyce's[/caption]

Today is a perfect example of you we still ‘piddle around’ as Champ says it. My friend Joyce had a landscape designer come up with a plan for a portion of her yard. Joyce invited me along last week to meet with her, see the plan and purchase some of the plants that will go in over the season. Today after working on my own little plots here, we went out to her place.  I helped her start to bring the plan to life. You could easily say, my gardener’s soul is living vicariously through Joyce’s yard this summer. Champ went along and was presented with a honey-do list that he gladly worked on while we planted. I have plans to help my daughter with her yard on Sunday as well. I think it’s safe to say Neither Champ nor I miss our hobbies all that much.  Problem solved.

Think about your hobbies and imagine how you can do it, maybe on a smaller scale. We met a gentleman last winter who had a small woodworking shop set up in an enclosed trailer that he took with him. He built things for craft shows and made a little money on the side.  One of the more inventive ones I’ve seen, is a woman who is an avid quilter,  who bought a toy hauler simply to have a sewing room. Her toys are her sewing machines and big quilting tables. Now, that’s thinking outside the box if you ask me.

Where there’s a will there’s a way, as they say. Get creative and think about it, I’ll bet you’ll come up with something.

Until tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment