Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Day 81 / 284 How Do You Know It's For You?

Saylorville Lake Overcast – 63 degrees

I welcome the cool dreary weather today since our AC won’t be going again for a few days. We had a 3-year old grandson here last night and had an absolute blast with him. We went to our great-great nephews (that’s right two greats there, scared the crap out of me when I realized it myself) 1st birthday party today. It’s been a weekend of kids and grandkids and I couldn’t be more content.  Now I’m back to pondering our weird life after spending the afternoon with extended family who are still getting used to the idea that we are basically gypsies.

There is so much to consider when you first get the idea in your head that being a full-time RV dweller is what you want to do. In our first two years we have met people in all phases of the life, from those who are still dipping their toe in to those who have been living full-time in the RV for 20 years or more. We have spent time at different work sites with those who still have homes locally and keep their RV at the volunteer site but are rarely there. Some people are wired for this life style some, not so much. The trick is figuring out which kind you are. Even if you launch and decide it’s not for you there’s no shame in trying. Just think of the experiences you will have for the short time you did it that will shape who you are! I am a tireless planner and borderline obsessive analyzer. In our case we talked about it and planned for over 5 years before we jumped off the cliff. Even then, we didn’t know for sure. The re-entry plan was in place, just in case. I read many blogs and gleaned a lot of insight from those who went before us. If I had a dollar for every person in the past 21 months who has said to me “That’s always been my dream” I would own the $450,000 unit I walked through, just for fun, when we were shopping for the motorhome we traded my beloved 5th wheel for last fall. It all comes down to answering some pointed questions and being brutally honest with yourself. I could probably write a book on the subject. Instead I’ll write a series of posts over the next few days about some questions we considered carefully and observations I’ve made from talking to others who are either all-in or teetering on the wire of going back to the ‘old way’.

The bottom line is simply this. There are endless versions of being full time. People have varying sources of income to support the lifestyle. Some workcamp, some don’t. Some own their RV outright, some don’t. At the center of it all, there are some very fundamental issues that need to be reckoned before you go for it if you want to look back and be glad you did it. I’ll take one issue a day starting tomorrow.

  • How much do you like to be outside?

  • How comfortable are you with internet and e-business?

  • How attached are you to your material possessions?

  • How big is your current living space?

  • If you will travel with a partner or spouse how much time to you spend alone together now?

  • How do you spend your leisure time?


Until tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment